How to sue a landlord in Massachusetts.

Affordable Housing Info

You need to know who owns the property you have, before you take legal actions against them. Find the owner of any property anywhere in Massachusetts by using the Internet to search city, town or county Property Tax records.

Find the Owner

Your lease is the first place to look for the owner’s contact information. Next, go to City Hall websites for the owner name and home address. You can get mailing addresses for owners when they don’t live on the property from the tax assessing record. For example, the website reports on Boston addresses. When owners are corporations, you may have to go to the Corporations database held at Secretary of State websites.

Types of Lawyers and Advocates who help tenants

Boston non-profit Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights at provides tenants representation, advice and referrals.

The Housing Discrimination Testing Program invites you to call if you feel like you have been discriminated against. CALL 617-884-7568. i usted cree que ha sido discriminado, LLAME A 617-884-7568. website link

The MassHousing agency offers free legal aid to low-income tenants. Request their referrals, legal information, and legal representation for evictions statewide. More information is available here, or you can go to to find a legal aid program near you.

Court Case Mediation

Massachusetts Community Mediation Centers also offer free pre-court mediation between landlords and tenants for COVID-19 related lease disputes in addition to the summary process cases referred through the courts

Check with the housing department for you city or town to see what they can do for you. The information on this page gives you a good start but more help is available.

%d bloggers like this: